Sunday, January 27, 2008

Anvil Studio, Make/Edit Your Midi/Polyphonic Tones

Anvil Studio

Anvil Studio is a PC application to make or edit midi files (*.mid). It was made by Willow Software. I've already used this application since I've got my Nokia 3200. I'm not really good using it (until now), since I don't really good in music, and I don't really understand the complex of the application, so I was just using it to edit some polyphonic tones that was created by other people.

You know that some phones have specific channel limitation or there's some instrument that a phone can't play, so with this application, you can delete some channel from an original midi file that you have (because the sounds from that channel/instrument can be delete without any major change to your hearing) or change the instrument that couldn't play by your phone with the one that had almost similiar sounds that can. Of course, you must experiment by yourself to find what best to your phone.

Actually, the past version of Nokia PC Suite had the ability to make any midi files to compatible midi files to your phones, but they cut it down now, classic N-Gage also has built-in phone application to edit midi files. I know that many phones already have ability to play mp3 music now, but there's still some (and also new) that can't, so what the reason for Nokia to cut the ability from their new PC Suite? Ask Nokia! Anyway, if you still using the past Nokia PC Suite that has ability to convert a midi files, you can combine Anvil Studio with this, because sometimes when I was using the PC Suite conversion, the sounds of some channel still can't be played in my phones, in that case, edit it again with Anvil Studio.