Monday, January 7, 2008

Delete Sis Uninstall List on Application Manager in S60 3rd Edition Phone Memory Card

App. Manager

Well, let me explain this first, when you installed symbian software (sis extension) on our S60 3rd Edition Phones, the phone would also make the uninstall application file in a folder on [!]:\Private\ (change [!] with where you did install the application). In my my phone (Nokia N73), they're in [!]:\Private\10202dce (to check where your phone make this file, see later). Then, when you open the application manager, the phone will checked this directory (in phone and memory card) to find the uninstall list of all application in the phone (that's why it's loading at the first time).

Actually, the phone built in file manager application and the 3rd party application didn't grant us access that folder. So, how can you delete an application uninstall program on application manager? Well, you can access that folder with PC if you connect the phone with cable data and make phone as mass storage (the option will pop out when you connect the phone to PC via cable data, and also when I connect it, I also has Nokia PC Suite in my PC, So I don't know the effect if there's no PC Suite installed), then search on the private folder "*.sis" without quotation mark. The folder that contain all the sis file on private is the folder that contain of uninstall application file that the phone made (Like I said before, my uninstall folder on my N73 was [!]:\Private\10202dce, I don't know if the other S60 3rd Edition phone same, since I don't have another).

Now, you'll see in that folder a/some sis files with strange name. If you want to delete all list, you can move all of that to another folder (or delete it, but I don't recommend it, the reason you'll see later), but if you just want to remove some of these, you must find the appropriate file that uninstall the application you don't want to show. If you read my previous post on delete the list on S60 1st and 2nd Edition phone, you'll see that you can delete uninstall list on S60 1st and 2nd Edition phone through rename the appropriate file, but in S60 3rd Edition phone, you can't, because windows will prevent it, but you can just move it to another folder(strange indeed). To find the appropriate file in this phone you'll need application on PC to extract or view the sis file to find what uninstall file it is. I used my sis editor to handle it, you can use another application that has some function like this. After you find the appropriate file, then move it to another folder to delete it from application manager list.

When you want to uninstall the application that you delete from application manager, you can move it back to the uninstall folder through PC. But, if you delete the appropriate uninstall file, you have to delete all file that make the application manually if you want to uninstall it.

Now, I don't know how to delete the list if you install the application in phone memory, since you don't have access granted to that folder in phone memory via cable data mass stororage mode. Any suggestion?

4 comments:

Glenn Arellano said...

Thank you very mucho. It helped me alot. It fixed my problem. My phone is a nokia N73 music edition.

Gusti said...

Why it doesn't work for me..?? I have N73 Music, I tried several time to do trick but still doesn't work.. Is there anything I missed..??
Can you email me (darmawan_mail@yahoo.co.uk) or give more complete Tutorial with picture maybe..??

Regards
Darmawan

Gusti said...

Why it doesn't work for me..?? I have N73 Music, I tried several time to do trick but still doesn't work.. Is there anything I missed..??
Can you email me (darmawan_mail@yahoo.co.uk) or give more complete Tutorial with picture maybe..??

Regards
Darmawan

Virga Firdaus said...

Darmawan, this is a tutorial for application that installed on memory card.
Was the application installed on your memory card or your phone memory?

Trackback